Monday, December 15, 2008

Goodbye 2008, Hello 2009

I'm not usually one for New Years Resolutions. I will often make them sometime in December and before January even hits, I've broken whatever it is! I didn't make any resolutions last year, but the year before I swore I would remain celibate and single for one year. On New Year's Eve, I began my relationship with Joe. So I guess breaking a resolution isn't all bad because we have a good thing going on and 2 years later we're both still happy. It does make me wonder though, if maybe my new years resolution should be the opposite of what I want to happen so that I get what I want for once.
I already know that the new year has lots of change in store for me. We are finally moving out of our shack in the woods to a more urban area. We've been trying to get out of here for a while now, at least a year... We had talked about moving to New Hampshire for a long time, and we even looked at some apartments, but we decided that for now, the best course of action was to stay here and try to save money. Unfortunately, Plymouth is not exactly brimming with jobs, there's public transportation but it's infrequent and a pain in the ass to deal with, especially in winter. I have been going nuts, wanting a job, wanting to make some friends, basically anything that would involve getting out of the house more than just on the weekends when Joe and I do our errands.
In a little less than 3 weeks, we'll be moving into a 3 bedroom apartment with another couple that we are friends with. Joe used to live in that town and has known them and a bunch of other folks for a while now, so it's kinda like I am inheriting a group of friends before I even move there. I mean, I already know most of these people and have hung out with them on a handful of occasions, so it's really cool to know that I don't have to start completely from scratch. I will have to start from scratch on the job front, but I am looking forward to it. We'll be a few blocks from a train that goes back and forth between Providence and Boston, so I will be accessible to all the art schools and can hopefully gain work as a model once again. I am hoping that my timing isn't bad for this, because usually it's best to do interviews before the fall semester begins. But, I did get hired by PAFA just after the Christmas break a few years back, so not all hope is lost. I don't remember when the other Philly art schools hired me, but as I recall, I would show up at the model coordinators' offices at random times throughout the years and no one ever turned me down. I guess my trepidation about it stems from having called the school at the Museum of Fine Arts shortly after moving to MA in February 07, and the model coordinator told me to come for an interview before the fall semester. It doesn't necessarily work like that in all schools. Anyway, I'm calling up all the model coordinators today to find out what's up so I am ahead of the game. Whoa - look at me being all organized and responsible and shit.

No comments: